Sunday, June 22, 2008

Gerrold




Let me introduce you to Gerrold. He was my special helper when we worked at Hope last fall. He was my "tell me their name" friend. With the many children at Hope, everyone should have a helper like Gerrold. I would quietly point to a child who I knew but could not remember their name. Gerrold would discreetly whisper their name to me, again and again.

He is a quiet and gentle boy. I got to know him better during this trip. He has an older sister, Gladys, who also lives at Hope. There is much pain in their eyes and I don't know their whole story. He would like to be a Religious Studies teacher because he loves Jesus so much. Almost daily, Gerrold would slip a piece of paper in my hand with a carefully written note, telling me of his love and prayers.

On the day we left, Gerrold was helping with the photos of the students. Note on the photo above the little white bracelet on his wrist. These children have very few of their own possessions. I don't know where Gerrold got the bracelet, which is really a hair band. As we finished the final photos, Gerrold called me to him and said that he would like to give me his bracelet. I was so moved and humbled by the love of this little boy. He has next to nothing and gave me what little he had. I am wearing it now and will remember to pray for Gerrold and be inspired by his selfless love.

I want to love others the way that Gerrold loves.

Cathi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are all having great fun and making such fun memories together!
Can't wait to see you in a few days!
Victoria

Unknown said...

It's so cool to hear all your amazing stories! The children at Hope have so little, yet they are able to give so much of their love, which is amazing! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!
love you guys, and I can't wait to see you!
Alita