Friday, September 14, 2007

Well, Well, Well


water tank.JPG
Originally uploaded by jcvonrtw



The children's home is now a breeding ground for learning! My first adventure was to fix a broken well. Not having much luck with wells in the past...(see Mozambique), I was a little apprehensive to jump into this project. Two of the older boys from the home(and many little ones) came out to assist me in this endeavor. In this process, I would teach and learn as we started in. My first learning was a few Luganda words like, stick, move a little, well, and love. I told the boys to carefully watch and help as we tore apart the well, then put it back together. As in all my days in Africa, the process took longer, and was an exercise in trial and error. But in shortly over an hour, (I thought it would take five minutes! What was I thinking!), we successfully had an operational well, that pumped good fresh water! I deemed both older boys the "keepers of the well", giving them the responsibility to fix and maintain the well for the future.

In the photo, you may say, "Jerry, that is not a well!" I know, Cathi was busy with the children and only clicked a photo of me working with the boys to install a new water storage tank. This will bring much needed water to the laundry area, latrines, and to the kitchen. The boys and 10 shovels successfully dug two hundred feet of trench in just under an hour! I stood dumb-founded at their ability to work! I wish I had a work crew like this at home! We are teaching the boys different construction skills as well as integrating school subjects (i.e. math, science, and health) in the process.

As the projects get accomplished I am reminded of why I am here... I am here to serve, but first and foremost, I am here to love. There are many opportunities here in the children's home to love.

Remember the children,

Jerry

No comments: