Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Kampala Kenny

Good Friends:

I would like to introduce you to Kenny. Kenny and his girlfriend Roy (I told Kenny that Roy is a man's name in the States, he just laughed!) have dropped by our apartment a few times to visit. Roy interestly enough, comes from a family of 26! Her father had 5 wifes, and has over fifty grandkids!

We met Kenny at the Hotel Equatoria, where we stayed upon our arrival in Uganda. He is a guard, who works from 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. When I started a conversation with Kenny, he told me that he was very nervous about his future, because he had an appointment with his supervisor to discuss the possibility of changing his hours in order to pursuit college.

On the next day I spoke with Kenny to learn that his boss, put him off a few days, so his anxiety level was rising.

We had found an apartment to rent, so seeing Kenny now, would be more challenging because we will no longer be at the hotel.

One evening, around nine thirty, I heard a knock on our door. Kenny and Roy came over for a visit! I still don't know how exactly they found us, but we were very excited to see them. That night, Kenny told us that his supervisor had allowed him to cut his hours, and attend college. He was so happy.

Kenny's parents are both living. In fact, Kenny still lives at home with them. But this wasn't always the case. When Kenny finished Senior 6, he moved out and lived with a friend. The situation didn't work out, so Kenny was out on the street. His living arrangement at home was very difficult as well. His father was abusive and as Kenny stated..."liked the drink". What I surmised was that Kenny was being physically and emotionally abused at home. All to say that going back home was a very difficult decision.

Kenny told me he was "born again", and that his last resort was to pray that God would change his father, so that is what he did. As my eyes met Kenny's I could see tears welling up, and then he said, "It was a miracle, my father completely changed!"

Kenny is taking courses in communications and has a dream of entering the
broadcasting field. He is very bright and has a great future in front of him. We regularly see Kenny (and Roy), they have come over to hang out, share a meal, and keep us updated on the latest Kampala culture. Kenny... you are a good friend!

Jerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Von family,
If I ever need a cry I just come to your site. Tears of sadness for the lives some of these kids have had and tears of joy in hearing how God is working. I am in awe of what you all are doing!! I've really enjoyed your blog. Thanks for keeping us all updated.
hugs,
Laura G.