Friday, September 21, 2007

There’s my friend, Brooke!




Dear Friends,

Before leaving the US, I created a little photo book of Family and Friends. I brought it with today to Hope Children’s Home. I told Victoria, a beautiful 14 year old girl, that I brought this book to show her a photo of little Victoria, my friend Laura’s daughter. She was thrilled to see an American “Victoria.”

As we flipped through the rest of the book, I had completely forgotten that I had photos of the Santiam Christian team that had been here in June. Jess was a part of that team. What a commotion ensued, a crowd joined Victoria and I! Each team member was named with joy: Brooke, Jared, Papa Steve, Emma, James, Mama Barbara, Lauren, Seth, Hannah and on they went. What love these kids have for that team! As we went through the rest of the pages, there was one of team member, Brooke and I with our friends Alita and Emily. We had to show that page around to many. “My friend Brooke!” was repeated again and again. One sweet girl asked if I would please tell Brooke that she loves her and prays for her every day.

As we stepped on the bus, saying goodbye for the weekend, it really hit home with me how hard it will be to say goodbye to these kids, especially our sweet Esther. Both Jerry and I have connected particularly with this 11 year old girl. She sang praise songs for me today as well as recited a list of Luganda word/phrases while I videotaped. I weigh the happiness and love shared with the eventual pain of saying goodbye, especially for the kids. I pray that our love and prayers will strengthen and encourage these children long after we leave.

Love, Cathi (see Hope Children's Home Slideshow on the left.)

Oh, Esther has promised to teach me how to dance on Monday. She has no idea what she will be up against (for those who don't know, I am seriously rhythmically challenged.) Should be interesting and humbling!

No comments: