Thursday, September 13, 2007

Solutions?

Hi Friends!

Yesterday, I had a wonderful talk with a young man. He started the conversation by telling me he is "born again", that is how they distinguish between a true believer and a "cultural Christian". I asked about his life and he told me his mother had left him and his brother, when they were young. He was raised by his father...very unusual in this culture. His father passed away in 1999, when Ben had one year left of high school. Friends took him and his brother in, paid for Ben's tuition, and he graduated. For the last 4 years, he has been on his own, living alone, and trying to make it. It is so sad...he is only 21 years old! He is a such a nice kid. I asked how much he earns here at the market, he told me...$55 a month! (And I can't even afford to stay in Kampala!) He works 12 hour days/7 days a week and has NO days off! He lives in fear of losing his job, because employment is so scare. My heart is broken! He is only 6 years older than my son... just a kid. There is so much need in Africa, very overwhelming, and hard to discern who to give to...

Is there hope? Is there a solution? I thought maybe On Belay Ministries could start up "micro-franchises." Utilizing local labor, local resources, we provide the capital to start small businesses around Africa. Have a repayment plan in place, then after the debt has been paid, the "franchisee" takes over the full business and profits. Is this even feasible?

Food for thought...

Jerry

No comments: