Saturday, November 17, 2007

Change!

I can’t even begin to describe how much I have changed. I have witnessed first hand the generational poverty in Africa, and have had overwhelming feelings of relief and guilt coming to first world Europe. My core has been shaken. My compassion (or lack there of) is showing. By that I mean, in Africa, it is so easy to be compassionate to those who have nothing. While in England, Holland, Germany, and Italy, it is quite easy to walk by a beggar and not be moved with compassion. My heart screams out WHY? Why is there a lack of caring among those who we think have so much? Or is it that we all have been “shammed” so many times. Like the other day in the marketplace, an elderly woman stood visibly shaking, cup and cane in hand, hunched over looking pathetic. We later found out this woman was healthy and fine, a “gypsy.” She is known in town as “the shaker lady,” a sham she has been pulling for years.

I pray for a discerning, yet tender heart, longing to know how to treat others.

I have been changed in other ways as well. I have seen what I thought was abject poverty, only to see more extreme poverty. I have seen hate in the eyes of those who have been oppressed, and love in the eyes of others who are simply happy in spite of having nothing, and not knowing anything different. I have witnessed the art of the Masters: Van Gogh, Monet, and Seurat. And I have seen the art of the orphaned children. The architecture of Europe was inspirational, as were the children’s sand castles in Cinque Terre. My heart came alive dancing with the rhythms of South Africa, as well as the moments of pride, listening to the music of my own children.

Yes. I changed. I continue to change. You see, my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. You can’t describe this change unless it has happened to you. Worry has never been one of my “gifts”, but it seems that I now have received a crash course. The news came suddenly, and dramatically as well. We were unable to retrieve email for days, as it was a train ride away to link to the internet. I was shocked and worried. My dear mother said she wanted us to continue on with our trip, and she would be fine. My sister (a nurse) gave me all the details. We decided as a family that it is best to end our trip early, and return home after Christmas. I am changed.


Jerry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry--You are OPEN--*and* --changing. But then, you always have been. Thanks for sharing your heart so frankly. The last few days, I have been thinking and praying about the possibility of your coming home mid-trip, and while I'm thrilled you might be back here with us, I can't help but be sad. There would be more to see, more to take in, and more profound insights if you had another several months with your Cathi and your boys on this pilgrimage. But there IS that earthquake of change to manage in whatever comes next for your mom, too. We are praying for you, each one. We love you. Happy Thanksgiving, wherever the Father finds you this week. WendyDJ

Nikki Stauber said...

Hmm, I finally got a few moments to read through your entire blog, start to today. My heart is full after reading, but the words are few. May you feel His arms around you as you've been putting your arms around others. His love to you,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Reggie Voll (your cousin) Just got back from China and was shocked to hear of your Mothers illness. She seemed so healthy when I seen her last in April at Oom Bens and Tanta Liz's house . My prayers are out for a speedy recovery. Its great what your and your family are doing. I just wish the my family was as adventourous.I plan yo travel the world in my free time and possibly join the Peace Corps when I retire.