Monday, August 27, 2007

Mfuleni Township


IMG_1131.JPG
Originally uploaded by jcvonrtw



After a wonderful worship time with the YWAM family in the morning, we headed out to visit the townships with our friend Gabriel and his fellow pastor, also Gabriel. They have planted a church in the Mfuleni Township.


youth group.JPG
Originally uploaded by jcvonrtw



Jess joined the youth group for their meeting while we went to three other townships, to visit people and see the area where Gabriel is going to build a much needed community center. The land has already been purchased and they are just waiting on the funding to come in.

We were warmly welcomed by the people we met on the street and invited into the "homes" of others. A few of the homes were built of brick and had cement floors, while others were mere shacks that leak in the frequent rain, without plumbing or electricity. There are so many challenges to the people who live in the townships: no jobs or income, lack of basic health care, lack of food, substandard living conditions...we realize how much we have and take for granted. And yet, to hear the youth group praise the Lord, with laughter, singing and dancing. They certainly have a vibrancy and sense of God's presence in their lives.

Pastor Gabriel told us some heartbreaking stories of the youth in the township. One story, where a boy and his brothers hadn’t eaten in two days. The following story happened in the Mfuleni Township:

We pulled up in our Toyota Venture in front of the community center to visit some youth. I was greeted by calls from the children “molungus”! ( which means whites). As I exited our vehicle some of the youth came up to shake my hand. “Hi, I’m Thandiswa,” she also greeted me in her local tongue of Xhosa (clicking sounds). Soon Gabriel drove up with many youths from a neighboring township. Then I met Zola, and his oldest brother Thabo. This is Thabo’s story.

Thabo introduced himself to me, with a quiet spirit, and soft spoken voice. I asked him where he was from and he told me a neighboring township. I asked him about his family and he let me know that the young man I met earlier was his little brother. “He is just 17, and I am 22 as of last week”! “Do you have any other brothers or sisters I asked"? He told me he has another brother who is eighteen, and a sister who has passed away from AIDS in 2006. His sister has left a 12 year old daughter behind who lives with a friend. I asked about his parents and he told me that his father died in 1994 and his mother died in 2006. So for the last year Thabo has been responsible for his brothers and his niece. I asked him if he works. He told me at this time he is attending school to receive a certificate for first aid. Then he will continue on taking courses so he can eventually become a paramedic.

I asked how he makes money to live and go to school. “Pastor and the church help me” he told me. “They give me about 200 Rand a month.” (200 Rand is about $30.) “How much does school cost? And how about books?” I asked. He said that Pastor has also paid for school and someone from the USA has given him money for books.

He shared with me his dreams and passions. How he has a love for his people in the township and really wants to help them in tangible ways. He spoke of his love for medicine and how they need basic medical care in the townships. I asked him about health care. He stated that it was too expensive to get transport to go to the doctor. He told a story of a man who recently was stabbed in the arm. Thabo came to the man’s side with his first aid kit (donated again by someone in the States), applied pressure to stop the bleeding, then cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide, and bandaged him up. He said with tears in his eyes that the people just need some love and care.

Later in the evening I went to Thabo’s home. It was a three room place smaller than most backyard sheds. Gabriel said that this home had just been rebuilt and was a thousand times nicer than it was before. There was no electricity, no running water, and no bathroom. A tin roof, old carpet floor, and a small kitchen area. There was no stove and no lights.

As I returned to the community center, I said goodbye to Thabo, and handed him a little money. I was also able to speak with Thabo’s pastor. I asked him why he is caring for this young man. He stated that Thabo is very “clever” and has the potential to go to college and make something out of his life. "So how much would it cost to send Thabo to college, I asked." Pastor said to me, about 12,000 Rand for school and books. This is about $1700. I told Pastor that that would be a good investment. He said there are a lot of good investments, but investing in young peoples’ lives is one of the best. I agreed. Oh yes, did I mention that Thabo and his brother were the very boys Pastor was telling me about earlier in day that went without food for two days.

As I drove back to Muizenberg, I reflected on my time in the townships. I have a broken heart for young men like Thabo, who at the young age of 22 has to become a father, and still find his own way in life. Then I thought about all the other stories I didn’t hear and my eyes filled with tears. I was thinking why am I so blessed in this life, and how can I help. At this time the only answer I have is to love. Love the people, love God, and love this life we have been given.

I am undone. Jerry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to understand so much suffering. Thank you for sharing that incredible story. What can we do?
Laura G.

Anonymous said...

I weep with you. I weep in sorrow and pain at the conditions of much of the world. I weep in joy and hope at the conditions of the hearts of so many. The indomitable spirit that God creates in his children. I love you Vons!

Anonymous said...

wow... makes me wish i was there even more. I am excited for the work you guys are doing and I miss you all.
LOVE, JARED!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep. Yep. I hear you, Jerry. I think those are Jesus' tears for his children you are crying. Lord, keep my heart tender like Jerry's and my hand open to do what I can to meet people's needs. WendyDJ