Monday, August 6, 2007

Many Hats In Maputo!

Hello Friends,

Yesterday was another great work day in Mozambique. I was able to wear many hats. My day started out as the computer expert. Networking 12 computers, installing software, downloading printer drivers and setting up the security was my task for the morning. Then I put on my auto repair hat and tracked down the battery draining culprit of a Toyota Condor (similar to a diesel 4 Runner, affectionately named the "Demon Car!") I am still in process of completing the repair (better described as disassembly of the alarm system!) Tomorrow, I will put on my electrician's hat to repair a 240v circuit and switch. Later in the day I begin to install a complete sound system in the OMS seminary's multipurpose room. This is where I installed a 10 foot projection screen in a concrete wall last Saturday.

All of this work is absolutely wonderful and fulfilling. They have such great need and very little help. The simplest of tasks become very challenging, because either parts are not available or they are outrageously expensive. Everything takes an inordinate amount of time, for example, I need to purchase conduit for the sound system. First, I need to draw a picture of conduit or find an example of what I am looking for. Then I go to the "hardware store". I say that very loosely (the stores are very different)! When you enter the "store" you are greeted by a long line in front of the counter. Of course I don't expect English to be spoken, so I sign and show the picture. Then the "helpful" hardware man brings my picture to some one in the back, and I move to another area, stand in a long line to pay for goods I am not sure I will receive or know if it is even conduit! After about an hour and a half, then I make it to the front of the line, pay for the goods and wait, of course in a totally different area! Finally, some one comes forth, with what they have interpreted is what I wanted and shows me, and as luck would have it... it is not the correct item! OK, back to the first counter to repeat the process once again! You can spend a whole afternoon trying to purchase one item! ARGH! Welcome to Maputo!

Though at times things can be frustrating, it is very interesting to see how our countries and cultures differ.

Jerry

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Sounds like it is going graeat!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Ah--standing in line to receive who-knows-what! Reminds me so much of Taiwan... You got to miss customs, but this is something of the same line-jockeying. Sounds like you've been well embraced, becoming a central part of a wedding, even (SIX in the jump seat?). NEAT that you can minister to folks there with carpentry, car-fixits, electrical connections, and the like. You are the man of the hour, I bet, Jerry. Hope and pray that you're all staying well!! We have a new floor in Vancouver-- the wood part was finished last Thursday. Ron likes it too, asking me about every half hour: So, still like your floor? And I say--Yeah! Do you still like my floor? It's a mutual appreciation society. Pretty colors, too, nice grain and so smooth! No peeing from Ralph (the cat) that I can detect yet; he and Waldo seem thrilled to be home after being banished to the vet's for three days. School starts in a week. Lots to try to get done here before that, but this is the fun part. Love you all so much. Wendy