Saturday, October 13, 2007

Guitar Man!



Friends,

Mombasa is a cornucopia of different cultures; Kenyans, Indians, Pakistanees, Arabs, and Whites inhabit this beautiful coastal island. Most religions are represented here. While it seems that the majority of the population is Muslim (because of the loud calls to prayer), Hindu and Christian churches abound as well.

I was asked to lead a guitar clinic at a local Baptist church. My classroom was in the rear of the building, with good attendance. The students who were there had a wide spectrum of experience levels from beginner to advanced. The ages ranged from 11 years to seasoned adult. Three students had never even touched a guitar before!

I taught the basics of chord structure and guitar anatomy. It was challenging for both the inexperienced as well as the experienced. I increased the difficulty to those advanced players by having them find chords we were discovering, utilizing all the chord positions. I touched on rhythm and palm muting, and recognizing that the guitar can be a rhythm instrument.

After 3 hours, it was time to dismiss. I can’t wait until next week. I teach a song in three parts! Beginners will play the basic chords, intermediates will play the same chords but in a different position, and the advanced players will attempt a harmony lead part.

Ahh…music to my ears!

Jerry



While Jerry worked with the fledgling guitarists, the boys and I had a ministry of our own. We made some new friends! We sang, laughed and danced together. What friendly, open and loving young people. We felt welcomed! Karibuni! (Swahili for Welcome to you all!)

Cathi

No comments: